This recipe is so easy and PACKED full of flavor. If you are not a spicy fan this isn’t your dish because, the poblano packs quite a bit of heat! You could stuff bell peppers instead of the poblanos for a more mild take on this recipe. Regardless, I just love stuffing poblano peppers or bell peppers and elevating any ole ordinary dish. It makes low carb eating way more festive! Give it a try and let us know what you think!
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/4 white onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 cup Homemade or store bought Red Enchilada Sauce (here is my Homemade Red Enchilada Sauce).
- 2-3 poblano peppers
- pico de gallo or guacamole, for topping
- 1 ziplock bag
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Brown meat with onions and garlic until no longer pink. Drain off excess fat and return browned meat into the skillet.
- Season with Salt, pepper, the cumin and chili powder and add 1 cup of enchilada sauce. Stir well to combine. Reduce heat to low and cover while you prepare the poblano peppers.
- Turn on oven to “broil”.
- Place the poblano peppers on the top rack and broil until the top starts to blacken a bit and bubble, about 5 minutes. Using tongs, flip over the poblano peppers in the oven and do the same to the other side. The other side only takes half the time so watch carefully.
- Remove the poblano peppers from the oven and put them directly into a ziplock bag. Seal the ziplock bag and let them sit inside the bag for 5 minutes. The heat from the oven sealed inside the bag will allow them to “steam”.
- Remove the poblano peppers onto a working surface. Since you steamed them in the ziplock bag, it should be very easy to peel off the skin of the pepper. Gently peel off all of the skin of the poblano.
- Carefully make an incision into the tops of the poblano peppers, lengthwise. Now, using a spoon, very carefully remove the seeds from the insides of the peppers.
- Stuff the peppers with the meat mixture, then top with pico de gallo or guacamole (optional).
- Serve and enjoy!