One of my all time favorite dishes growing up was Chicken and Broccoli from the small hole-in-the wall chinese restaurant in McKinney, Texas– China Sun. It was the closest Chinese restaurant to the small town I grew up in and my closest friends and I would drive there at least once a week to pig out on big platters of chicken and broccoli with a side of wonton soup. I loved those teenage “road trips” (it was about 30 minutes away) with my best friends from home: Ashley, Lindy, and Beth. I have so many fond memories of Ashley, Lindy, and I eating our platters of chicken and broccoli, while Beth, our friend who didn’t eat meat, would eat the waffles fries purchased from Chik-fil-a around the corner that she brought into eat. HA! The China Sun owners knew us well, and they didn’t mind it so that was our routine.
Over the years, I’ve made variations of the classic American Chinese dish. But I’ve finally gotten a great Whole30 rendition that I just know that you and your families will love. My kiddos love this stir-fry as much as my husband and I do, making it a great go to on any weeknight! It’s simple to make, and full of flavor, with a rich and flavorful brown sauce you’ll want to lick off the plate!
Chicken and Broccoli
For the Chicken:
- 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper (black pepper is okay)
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tsp tapioca flour
For the Sauce:
- 2 tsp tapioca flour
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos (I like Big Tree Farm brand)
- 1 tsp fish sauce (I use Red Boat brand)
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp finely grated ginger
For the Stir-Fry:
- 2 tbsp avocado oil, or more as needed
- 6 cups broccoli, cut into florets
Prepare the Chicken:
- Place chicken in a single layer across a cutting board and cover with wax paper. Using a meat mallet or the bottom of a skillet, pound the chicken until it is a uniform 1/2 inch thickness. Then, cut chicken into 1/2 inch sized cubes.
- Place the cubed chicken in a large bowl with the avocado oil, kosher salt, white pepper, coconut aminos and tapioca. Toss until well combined. Set aside.
Make the Sauce:
- In a small bowl, combine all of the "for the sauce" ingredients and whisk until well combined and the tapioca has dissolved in the mixture. Set aside.
Make the Stir Fry:
- Heat oil in a large, non-stick skillet or wok over medium-high heat. When hot and in batches so as to be careful not to overcrowd the pan, cook the chicken until golden brown on both sides and cooked through, 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer cooked chicken to a plate and continue, adding oil if your skillet seems dry as needed, until all the chicken is browned and cooked through.
- In the same skillet (still over medium-high heat), add the broccoli florets and 1/4 cup of water to the skillet. Cook, stirring, until the water has completely evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- Add the sauce to the skillet with the broccoli and cook, stirring, until the sauce just begins to thicken, about 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken and any of it's juices back into the skillet with the broccoli and sauce. Simmer, stirring, until the sauce is thick and coats the chicken evenly, about 2 more minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!