Ever since I was a kid, my favorite thing to order when I went to Chinese restaurants has been Chicken and Broccoli. Let’s just say that my friends and I in High School would load up at least once a week and head on over to the infamous hole-in-the-wall spot, China Sun, to get a huge plate of Chicken and Broccoli. We ate enough Chicken and Broccoli to keep the restaurant in business. Those were the days! ((Shoutout to my China Sun going besties, Lindy and Ashley!))
Anywho, this is something I learned to make as soon as I got to college and started cooking for myself because I missed dear old China Sun so much; however, my college version was just as unhealthy as the one I ordered at China Sun: filled with MSG and not so necessary calories. Over the years, I have healthified my version of Chicken and Broccoli and this one is not only delicious, but much better for you. My favorite reasons to make this dish though? It takes about 20 minutes to make and my whole family enjoys it just they way that it is (picky 3 year old approved!) I hope you and your family will enjoy my healthy take on the dish as much as mine!
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 1/2 tbsp. organic, non-gmo cornstarch
- salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp. grapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp. organic tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp. peeled/grated ginger
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- Rinse and pat dry chicken breasts. Cut chicken into large, bite-sized chunks (about 1.5 inch pieces). Place cubed chicken into a large bowl, season lightly with salt and pepper. Toss to evenly coat. Now spoon the cornstarch over the chicken, and toss again to evenly coat. Set aside while you prepare your sauce.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the chicken broth, ginger, lemon juice, rice vinegar, and tamari. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. When hot, add oil and when oil is pipping hot (but not smoking) pour in the cornstarch coated chicken cubes. Cook the chicken, browning one side for about 4 minutes.
- Halfway through the chicken cooking process, add the broccoli florets. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked all the way through, about 5-7 more minutes.
- Add the chopped garlic to the skillet and cook for 1 minutes, being careful not to burn.
- Now pour in your sauce, turn your heat down and bring to a simmer for 4 minutes to allow it to slightly thicken (the cornstarch from the chicken will help it thicken and the high heat will help it reduce). You may need to turn your heat down to low so it doesn't burn, you just want a simmer, not a boil.
- Remove from heat, serve and enjoy!