Delicious, low calorie minestrone soup filled with tons of veggies! Best part, it’s done in the crockpot! Pair it with our Italian Chopped Salad or enjoy it on its own.
- olive oil, to taste
- 4 ounces pancetta, 1/2 inch dices (You can usually find these already package and diced at grocery store)
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups of chopped yellow onion
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dry thyme
- 1 (26- ounce) can or box diced tomatoes
- 6 to 8 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 bay leaf
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- 8 to 10 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons store-bought pesto
- 1 (15 ounce) can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cooked small pasta (I used gluten free brown rice pasta from Trader Joes)
1. Heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add the pancetta, onions, carrots, celery, squash, garlic, and thyme and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften.
2. Add the tomatoes, 6 cups of the chicken stock, the bay leaf, 1 tablespoon salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper to your crockpot. Add your ingredients from your pot to the crockpot. Stir, cover and set crockpot on high for 4 hours.
3. With about 30 minutes left in the cooking time, add your drained and rinsed beans to the crockpot. While the beans heat through, bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook your noodles according to package. When complete, drain noodles and add to crockpot. Serve and enjoy!
The soup should be quite thick but if it’s too thick, I add more chicken stock. Also, make sure to discard the bay leaf before serving.
Recipe adapted from Ina Garten