If you’ve done the whole-30 challenge before, you can relate when we say that shredded meats in the crockpot are where its at! It is really amazing the things one can come up with (especially when “hangry”) to serve up the shredded meat. Toss it on a salad for lunch, make lettuce “tacos” for dinner, scramble in eggs for breakfast, stand in front of fridge and eat cold right out of the container…oh, whoops, did I just say that out loud? It’s true though, especially this crockpot shredded carne asada recipe. It is so good that you can literally eat it on anything. My personal favorite way to eat it? With our whole 30 approved mexican coleslaw in “tacos”. Recipe below, enjoy!
Crockpot Carne Asada
- 1.5-2 lbs. of Flank or Skirt Steak
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp. organic apple cider vinegar
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. cumin
- butter lettuce or green leaf lettuce for serving
- Using a fork, stab the flank steak all over (about 15 times). Season both sides with salt and pepper generously. Place flank steak in the bottom of the crockpot.
- In a bowl, whisk together: the olive oil, the lime juice, orange juice, vinegar, jalapeno, red onion, garlic, cumin.
- Pour marinade over the flank steak. Cover and cook in crockpot on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 4-6.
- When cook time is complete, using two forks shred the meat. Place back into the crockpot and stir in the cilantro. Turn off crockpot, and let cool off (for about 15 minutes) while the meat soaks up most of the good juices it created.
- Serve in lettuce cups topped with our Spicy Mexican Coleslaw.