I recently purchased The Skinny Taste Cookbook and it is fabulous! Her recipes are so easy to follow along and they don’t ask for ridiculous ingredients! As I was flipping though, her “Guiltless Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms” were calling my name. My fiance and I LOVE mushrooms so I had to give this recipe a shot. It is beyond easy to make and so yummy!
I decided to go with a hot Italian sausage instead of her sweet chicken sausage. I wanted mine to have a bit of a flavor kick! I also cut out the bread crumbs and cheese to make it even healthier. Now everyone can enjoy this gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo, whole30 dish!
Try making this as an appetizer next time you have some friends over or even for Easter this coming weekend! Enjoy, y’all!
- 14 ounces white button mushrooms
- 1 link hot Italian sausage (or sausage of choice)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped white onion
- 1-2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- cooking spray (I use an olive oil mister)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Stem the mushrooms, finely chop the stems, and set aside.
3. Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, using a wooden spoon to break meat into small pieces, until cooked through and browned. About 6-8 minutes. Transfer to plate and set aside.
4. Add the olive oil to that skillet, add the onion. Cook, stirring occasionally for 1 minute, then add the celery. Cook, stirring, until the celery is soft, about 10 minutes. Add the chopped mushroom stems, season with salt and pepper. Cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Now, add the cooked sausage back in and stir it all together.
5. Turn heat off.
6. Lightly season the inside of the mushroom caps with a little salt. Fill each mushroom with the sausage blend, be generous with how much you put in! It’s easy to do this right over the pan one at a time.
7. Place them in a baking dish and lightly spray the top with oil.
8. Bake until golden brown, about 17-20 minutes. Serve!
Recipe adapted from Skinny Taste