The weather is starting to warm up and all I want to do is sit in my backyard, watch the kids play, and grill some freaking good food. That sounds amazing, right?
Burgers are obviously one of the first things that come to mind when day dreaming about a day in the backyard. I thought it would be fun to ‘spice things up’ a bit because, well, I love spicy and all. Here is a fun, easy, and really delicious chicken burger that I know y’all are going to just love. In fact, when I asked my husband “what do you think” his response was, “REALLY good actually.” Uh Clayton, what do you mean by ‘actually’? Did you think it was going to be gross? I think in his mind he just thought a chicken burger would be pretty dry and boring. But, to his surpise I used chicken thighs so they were juicy and with the flavor additions I included they were just so absolutely delicious and full of flavor. So ha! Take that, Clayton!
I encourage you to show off your Burger making skills with these chicken burgers… you’ll just love them!
- 2 lbs. ground chicken thighs
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg, well whisked
- 2 tbsp. olive or avocado oil, for cooking
- 1/2 cup homemade mayo
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- juice of 1 lime
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a bowl, combine the ground chicken, jalapeno, red onion, bell pepper, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, and egg. Using your hands, mix until the meat is well combined.
- Using a measuring cup, scoop out 1/2 cup of the meat mixture and form into round hamburger patties.
- Heat a large skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium heat with 2 tbsp. oil. When hot, but not smoking, place patties in the skillet but do not overcrowd the pan, you will need to do this in a few batches (i did 3 at a time). Reduce heat to medium and sear on each side until golden brown and cooked through, about 4-5 minutes per side.
- Transfer cooked burgers to a paper towel lined plate and continue until all of the burgers are complete.