This recipe is one that I have been trying to perfect for a little while. You see, my mom makes this baked lemon chicken that is one of her staples and something my siblings and I request when we go back home. Only problem is, its smothered in butter and has flour in it to make the most decadent sauce ever. It is to die for. I have been trying to make a healthy, whole 30 friendly version of this recipe of hers for a while now and, to my surprise I made it taste absolutely delicious without any flour or butter! It is all in this fool proof cooking technique I used in the old trusty dutch oven! You don’t have one you say? Well, I strongly suggest you make that purchase…like, today! You won’t regret it.
Using chicken thighs in place of my chicken breasts always makes things taste more juicy and delicious in my opinion. The ingredients are simple and minimal, but the flavor is full and absolutely perfect. This is definitely one of those things I will probably cook once a week for my family for the rest of my life! I hope you enjoy, too!
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. avocado or olive oil
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, smashed then finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. capers
- 2 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley
1.Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
2. Rinse and pat dry chicken thighs. Season the tops evenly (skin side) with salt and pepper.
3. Heat 2 tbsp. oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. When pan is hot (but not smoking), place chicken, skin side down, and sear, occasionally rearranging chicken thighs and rotating pan to evenly distribute heat, until fat renders and skin is golden brown, about 7-8 minutes. (while the chickens are upside down, I lightly season the backs of the chicken thighs with just a little more kosher salt and pepper).
4. Flip chicken; continue to brown the other side, about 2 minutes longer, chicken will not be completely cooked through but both sides seared. Transfer to a plate while you prepare the sauce in the same skillet.
5. Using the same skillet, reduce heat to medium. Add garlic to the hot skillet; cook for 30 seconds or until lightly browned, being careful not to burn it. Add chicken broth to skillet, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Add lemon slices and capers, stir to combine.
6. Nestle chicken into the sauce in between the lemon slices. Cover with lid and place in the 275 degree oven. Bake for 2 hours. Remove from oven and let cool for about 5 minutes with lid removed.
7. Top with freshly chopped parsley and serve to enjoy! This chicken goes well with anything! I suggest serving it over zoodles or cauliflower rice to soak up the good sauce!