I just love all of the ways that one can play with a traditional Chicken Noodle Soup and completely transform the flavors. Here, I’ve combined a good old fashioned Miso Soup with Chicken Noodle Soup to make quite a wonderful concoction. It’s simple to make and bursting with flavor and a Chicken Soup that will certainly spice up your weeknight.
If you’ve never cooked with Miso Paste, it’s really simple and really does all the work on it’s own. You can find Miso Paste in the fridge section at your local grocery store, usually near the other refrigerated condiments. I absolutely love using miso paste in soups, salad dressings, or marinades to add a fabulous element of flavor to everyday dishes.
If you are in the mood to change up your chicken noodle soup game, be sure to put this one at the top of your list!
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thights
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely diced (or 1/2 medium onion)
- 1 cup carrot, diced (or 1 large carrot)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 inch nob of ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 3 tablespoons white miso paste
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced green onion (about 3 onions)
- 1 cup thinly sliced white or baby bella mushrooms (about 4-5 mushrooms)
- 1 [.35 ounce] package of roasted seaweed, cut into thin strips
- 4 ounces of thin brown rice noodles (or 1/2 box. I use Annie Chun's Brand)
- sriracha, for serving (if desired)
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. This will be to cook your brown rice noodles in right before serving.
- Meanwhile, season both sides of the chicken with the kosher salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat. Sear chicken on both sides until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Your chicken doesn't have to be completely cooked through, as it will continue cooking in the soup later, we just want to get a nice sear to add flavor to it. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the onions, carrot, and garlic and saute, stirring, until onions are tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add the ginger and the miso and saute, stirring, for 1 more minute.
- While whisking, stir in the broth until the miso paste is incorporated into the broth. Bring the broth to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Cut the browned chicken into 1/2 inch cubes and add them to the simmering soup along with any of it's juices, the green onions, and the mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the onions and mushrooms are tender. About 4 more minutes.
- Stir in the sliced seaweed. Taste and adjust seasonings, if needed. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, cook the brown rice noodles according to package instructions.
- Drain the noodles and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking. Place some of the noodles in the bottom of a soup bowl. Ladle soup over the noodles. Top with desired amount of sriracha (if using), serve and enjoy!