These drumsticks are so simple to make and whole30 approved! Delicious, baked juicy chicken with a ginger-orange sauce. Such a healthy way to cook chicken drumsticks!!!
- 10-12 chicken legs
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- about 1 cup fresh orange juice ( juice of about 2 oranges)
- 1 tbsp. orange zest
- 1 inch chunk ginger, peeled and grated
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- optional garnish: sliced oranges and chopped parsley
1.Rinse and pat dry drumsticks. Sprinkle the drumsticks lightly with salt and pepper. Place them in a large bowl or ziplock bag.
2. In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, orange juice, orange zest, grated ginger, minced garlic, cayenne and paprika. Add a little more salt and pepper, if you think it needs it.
3. Whisk above ingredients and pour evenly over chicken legs. Cover and set aside and let marinade for at least 30 minutes, but you can marinade them in the fridge all day (which is even better)! Regardless, remove the chicken from the fridge 30 minutes prior to cooking so that it comes to room temp.
4. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
5. Place a large sheet of foil to cover the bottom of a cooking sheet. Line the drumsticks across the cooking sheet. Keep the rest of the marinade in the ziplock bag for later.
6. Place drumsticks in the oven and roast for 30-35 minutes (or until the skin has some dark, crispy looking spots).
7. 10 minutes prior to removing the drumsticks from the oven, take the remaining marinade from the bowl or ziplock and pour it into a small saucepan or a small skillet. Heat it over low heat and let it simmer, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes.
8. Remove drumstick from the oven. Brush on the remaining sauce all over the drumsticks.
9. Serve and enjoy! We garnished ours with orange wedges and fresh chopped parsley!