Breakfast is one of those meals that people struggle with. Even me, little miss food blogger, struggles with putting breakfast on the table. Some days, or even weeks, are just more hectic than others and it’s nice to have something tasty and healthy ready to grab and go.
Banana bread is one of the best grab and go breakfasts and boy, does it go great with a cup of coffee. But, If I eat a slice of sugar-y banana bread for breakfast every morning I know I wouldn’t feel my best. I’d be getting in little to no protein, lots of sugar, and lots of carbs that I just don’t need in my life. I wanted to give the breakfast staple a paleo makeover and try adding my favorite all-natural paleo protein powder. It turned out SO GOOD.
I’ve talked about how much I love Rootz’ Paleo Protein-Superfood in this past post but I am here to tell you again.. not only does it taste good but the ingredients are a blend of all natural superfoods that are super clean. It’s perfect for post workout or for just a low calorie meal replacement. I’ve also been enjoying adding it to sweet treats and baking lately like I did here. That way, I can eat my donut and still get some protein to kick start my day.
These chocolate chip banana bread breakfast donuts are super easy to make and great to make on the weekends so that you have a healthy breakfast on the go during your busy morning hussle. Since Rootz protein-superfood is chocolate-banana flavored, it was the perfect addition to this recipe. If you go purchase any of their products, they are giving 15% off any of their products when you use my discount code “thedefineddish”!
- 3 large, ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp. almond butter (I use Crazy Richard's)
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 2 room temp eggs
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp.Rootz Paleo-Protein Superfood
- small pinch of fine salt
- Large Donut Pan (preferably Non-Stick Silicone)
- coconut oil spray, or other non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine mashed bananas, honey, vanilla, and almond butter. Mix until smooth.
- Add eggs, one at a time until fully combined.
- Mix in coconut flour, protein powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Finally, gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Spray donut pan with non-stick spray, then pour mix into the molds until each cavity is 3/4 full. This makes 9 donuts.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely (let cool on a wire rack if your donut mold is metal) before popping them out of the molds.