This is hands down one of the best soups in the world! I could eat it every single week and be fully content. This is a must try meal that you need to make ASAP! Healthy never tasted so good, and my house never smelled so good. Heaven.
- 9 medium globe tomatoes or plum tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium sized yellow onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp. ghee (optional)
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 oz) can whole plum tomatoes, with juice
- 4 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1 tsp. fresh or dried thyme leaves
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Toss the tomatoes with ¼ cup olive oil. Layer on a baking sheet in a single layer. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 45 minutes.
3. In a large stockpot over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, ghee (optional) and red pepper flakes until onion is translucent and starts to brown, about 10 minutes.
4. Add the canned tomatoes, basil, thyme, and chicken stock. Add the oven roasted tomatoes, including the juices. Bring the soup to a boil and simmer for 40 minutes, uncovered. Adjust salt and pepper as needed.
5. Transfer the soup to a blender or large food processor and puree. (You could also use an immersion blender).
6. Serve and enjoy! We served ours with a proscuitto crisp (recipe below).
Recipe adapted from the Food Network by Ina Garten.
4 slices of applegate proscuitto
A cooking sheet
Directions: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly brush a rimmed baking sheet with olive oil, and arrange the proscuitto in a single layer. Place in the oven, and bake until crisp, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack.
Recipe from Martha Stewart.