Sometimes, its the simple things in life that give you the most pleasure. This recipe? It’s one of those simple recipes that I will always look forward to during the summertime when tomatoes are ripe and ready to be eaten. I just love summer tomatoes. yum.
During my first trip to Italy as a kid, I had my first bowl of “Pasta Pomodoro” Pasta al pomodoro is an Italian pasta dish typically prepared with olive oil, fresh tomatoes, basil, and various other fresh ingredients. It is intended to be a quick, easy and light, which makes it the perfect summer pasta dish.
You’ll find that the ingredients are minimal and simple; however, you will be so impressed with the way this dish turns out. It is simply fantastic! You must buy the freshest ingredients you can find. And don’t be intimidated by the anchovies in this recipe. You really won’t know they are there and the addition of them adds a savoriness that really elevates this dish. Just think about it this way… would you want caesar salad without anchovies in the dressing? Heck no! That’s what makes the dressing so. damn. good. Anchovies… they are the best secret weapon in the kitchen, folks!
Head over to your local farmers market this weekend and grab some fresh herbs, fresh garlic, and fresh tomatoes to make this pasta. You won’t regret it!
- 4 flat filet anchovies in olive oil
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 large, ripe, fresh tomatoes diced (reserving their juices)
- 6 large leaves of basil, cut julienne style
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- Fill a large pot of water and bring to a boil. When boiling, pour in pasta and cook to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add anchovy filets and let cook for 30 seconds- 1 minute, then using the back of a spoon, press until it turns into a paste.
- Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and saute for 30 more seconds, being careful not to burn.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and their juices to the skillet and season, pretty generously, with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium and let simmer, stirring often, for about 15 minutes.
- When pasta is ready and drained, add it to the sauce and toss to coat. Taste, and add seasonings if necessary.
- Serve and enjoy!