Okay, so we realize that a Gyro is usually filled with meat but with this gorgeous medley of vegetables and the big flavor from Greek-Style spice blends, we promise you won’t miss the meat! Try our Meatless take on the traditional Greek dish that is packed with vitamins and minerals!
Ingredients (Serves 2):
- 1 zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 12 button mushrooms, cleaned and stem removed and halved (if they are really big mushrooms then you may need to quarter them)
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, core/seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 2 Whole Wheat Pitas, cut in half and split open to form pockets
- For the Cucumber-Mint Sauce:
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup Chobani Plain, Non-Fat Greek Yogurt
- 2 tbsp. fresh chopped mint
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Chop all of your veggies for roasting (the bell peppers, the mushrooms, the onion, and the zucchini). Place them in a large bowl. Drizzle with 2 tbsp. of olive oil and toss to coat evenly. Now add your seasonings (the salt, pepper, chili powder, thyme, oregano, and cumin). Toss again to evenly coat.
3. Pour seasoned veggies onto a rimmed cooking sheet and spread evenly across the sheet. Roast the veggies in the oven for 25 minutes, or until tender.
4. Meanwhile, lets make the Cucumber-Mint Sauce. Combine the yogurt, mint, lemon juice, garlic and cucumber in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set in the fridge until ready to use.
5. Divide the vegetables among the pita pockets and drizzle with a generous helping of the Cucumber-Mint Sauce. Serve, and enjoy! oh, and don’t forget to pass around extra sauce while enjoying your gyros–the more the merrier!
Recipe adapted from the Healthy Dish of the Day cookbook.