Sweet potatoes on the Thanksgiving table was never something I grew up having. My family stuck to the oh-so salty, savory classic mashed potatoes and that’s just how we do. Over the years I’ve become quite the sweet potato lover and I know that it is something that most of you grew up having on your Thanksgiving table– so I thought it would be fun to make a delicious sweet potato dish that would be perfect for the Thanksgiving (or Holiday) table.
Isn’t this dish just beautiful? I love the way it looks, but it also tastes fantastic, too!! Sweet potatoes smothered in a vanilla ghee + coconut milk concotion that will make your taste buds SING. The addition of pomegranates isn’t completely necessary, but it adds a great fruity, fresh flavor and it makes it look freaking gorgeous! Win Win!
You all that have followed me for awhile are well aware by now that my favorite ghee is Fourth & Heart. There are so many different ghees out there but quite frankly, not all ghees are created equal. I love the clean, delicious flavor that all of the Fourth & Heart Ghee Butter’s have, and you can taste the quality of ingredients that they use. Also, I am really obsessed with their madagascar vanilla flavored ghee. The depth of flavor from the vanilla is absolutely delicious in bulletproof coffee for breakfast, and great for paleo baking! I also love to use it when fluffing up a simple, baked sweet potato; which is what gave me the idea for this fun, holiday inspired dish. The flavor combination is just to die for.
So, for all you sweet potato lovers out there, go make this ASAP. It’s A GOOD ONE.
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 3 tbsp. Fourth and Heart Madagascar Vanilla Ghee
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk (blended so that it is combined)
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds, for serving
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Scrub sweet potatoes, then slice very thinly into thin rounds. Place in a bowl.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Melt the ghee. When melted, add the coconut milk, cinnamon and maple syrup. Whisk vigorously until well combined.
- Pour the ghee mixture over the sweet potato rounds. Gently toss. Season lightly with a little kosher salt. Toss once more.
- Arrange sweet potatoes in a 10-12 inch round baking dish or a 12 inch round cast iron skillet so that they form a pretty circle. Fill in the center. Pour any remaining ghee mixture over the top.
- Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake in the oven, covered for 45 minutes. Then, uncover and bake uncovered for another 10 minutes more, or until lightly golden brown on the edges.
- Remove from oven, garnish with pomegranate seeds and parsley.
- Serve and enjoy!