I see stuffed peppers all over pinterest but I’ve never tried to make my own version. I’m so glad I finally gave these a shot cause they are super-simple to make and so delicious. Mine have a southern kick and they are gluten-free. As you can see by the mass amount of cheese on two of them, I made a “his and hers” version because my fiance obviously wanted his cheesy! ENJOY!
- 1 pound lean ground turkey (try to buy at least 80% lean)
- 4 large bell peppers (any colors)
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained
- 1 cup red enchilada sauce ( I used Hatch Gluten Free Red Enchilada Sauce)
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen yellow corn
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Begin to cook quinoa according to package on stove or in a rice cooker. (I prefer to use a rice cooker)
3. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook ground turkey and diced red onion for 8-10 minutes . Stir in salt, pepper, garlic, lime juice, enchilada sauce and black beans; Cook until hot.
4. Remove and discard the tops, seeds, and membranes of the bell peppers. Arrange peppers in a baking dish with the hollowed sides facing upward. (Slice the bottoms of the peppers if necessary so that they will stand upright.)
5. In a bowl, mix the browned turkey mixture, cooked quinoa, corn and salt. Spoon an equal amount of the mixture into each hollowed pepper.
6. Place peppers in a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake an additional 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
*Optional: top with a little shredded cheese with about 5 minutes left in baking process.