YUM. You guys have to make this recipe! There is just so much fun and flavor packed into one bowl here and I just can’t get enough! The inspiration from this recipe is from one of my favorite lunch spots right now, Verts Mediterranean Grill. If you guys have seen one of those pop up around you, you have to try it out! (They are expanding right now and if you don’t have one near you now, you’ll be seeing one in the near future.) I always get a salad topped with their Spicy Cilantro Sauce, Chicken, and tons of delicious, fresh veggies. Embarrassingly, I get this for lunch at least twice a week. It has completely replaced Chipotle in my life. Sorry, Chipotle…but we had a good run together. It’s time for me to move on. Vert’s is just so much fresher in my opinion.
Anyways, based on my Vert’s obsession, I had to recreate something similar in my own kitchen, because…well, I just had to. It is so fresh, full of flavor, and extremely satisfying. Give it a try, and give Vert’s a try, too! You’ll love both!
Side note: my “Spicy Cilantro Sauce” is not too spicy, it is very mild and most everyone can enjoy it, even non spicy food lovers. Vert’s Spicy Cilantro Sauce is VERY spicy, only add that to your dish if you are a spicy food lover like me!
- 1 - 1.5 lbs. flank steak
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup soy sauce (use coconut aminos if Whole30)
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups loosely pack cilantro
- 1/2 medium sized jalapeno, seeded
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Pinch of Kosher salt (or more to taste)
- 1 ear of corn (omit if Whole30)
- Quick Pickled Red Onions
- 4 cups spring greens
- 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled and diced large
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Take a fork and stab all over your flank steak. Season both sides of it with kosher salt and pepper. Place it in a ziplock bag with 1/4 cup olive oil and 1/3 cup soy sauce. Shake it to combine well and allow it to marinade for at least 30 minutes at room temperature OR (preferably) place it in the fridge and let it marinade for a few hours or all day. Just be sure to take it out 30 minutes prior to grilling so that it cooks evenly.
- Meanwhile, combine all "for the sauce" ingredients in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Set Aside.
- Grill or sear in a skillet to desired doneness over medium-high heat (we did ours about 5 minutes per side but yours will vary depending on the size and thickness of your steak and how you like yours cooked!) At the same time, Drizzle your corn with a little olive oil and rub so that it is evenly coated. Season lightly with salt and pepper--grill your ear of corn on all sides for about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove from grill and set the steak on a cutting board. Cover with foil and let it rest for a minute while you prepare your salad.
- Using a knife, gently cut the corn kernals off of the ear of corn.
- Amungst bowls, divide the greens, the corn, avocado, onions, tomato, and cucumber evenly.
- Slice the flank steak very thinly against the grain and serve over the salad.
- Drizzle all contents of the salad with the spicy cilantro sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!