One of my favorite dishes to make all of the time is our Lemon-Caper Chicken Thighs. It’s just one of those staples in our house that everyone in the family likes, I can whip it up, toss it in the oven and let it cook while I GSD (Get Sh*t Done). As a stay at home Mommy, it just works out perfectly with my lifestyle. I typically do the cooking during nap time and it is finished just at dinner time! Not to mention, I just LOVE the way it tastes.
With all that being said, I love the way the thighs are cooked here so I just changed up the flavors. My little ones, my husband, and I all love it. (WIN!) It will definitely become a new addition in our meal rotation and with less than 10 ingredients and absolutely delicious, I think it will become one in yours, too! Enjoy!
- 4 bone-in, skin on chicken thighs
- kosher salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup chicken or beef broth
- 1 cup store bought marinara (check your labels and buy one with only clean ingredients + no added sugar!)
- 1 cup of fresh basil leaves (loosely packed)
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped fine
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat on the stove top.
- Season both sides of the thighs with kosher salt and pepper, and lightly dust with cayenne pepper (optional).
- Sear the chicken thighs, skin side down, in the olive oil until the skin is golden brown and crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove from the dutch oven and onto a plate, set aside.
- Reduce heat under the dutch oven to low, add in the garlic and saute for about 30 seconds, being careful not to burn. Immediately add the chicken broth and using a spoon, scrape up the brown bits. Then, add in the marinara, and the basil. Stir until combined.
- Place the chicken thighs into the sauce, skin side up this time. The skin shouldn't be covered by the sauce, it keeps it crisp and prevents the skin from getting rubbery.
- Cover, place in the oven, and cook for 1.5 hours.
- Remove from oven, carefully remove lid and let cool for 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!