It’s the week after Thanksgiving, and we are all trying to behave ourselves this week to balance out all of the over eating we did. Well, how about some junk food turned healthy, eh? That way, we get what we really want but what our body really needs.
These are what I like to call “grown up chicken tenders” and for those of you that like a little spice in your life, like myself, these are going to be your new favorite weeknight meal! I mean, chicken soaked in buffalo sauce, coated in breading, baked until crisp, then served with a buffalo ranch…uh, YAS.
If you like extra crispy chicken tenders (uh, who doesn’t) don’t be dissappointed when these aren’t like the ones you are used to eating at Whataburger. The almond flour and the coconut flour just doesn’t crisp up like the glutenous stuff… sorry; however, they are absolutely delicious and as crisp as you can possibly get them without cheating. Enjoy!
- 2 lbs. chicken tenders (or boneless, skinless chicken cutlets cut into tenders)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup almond meal from "unblanched" almonds
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- Ghee oil spray, coconut oil spray, or avocado oil spray
- 1/2 cup Franks Original Hot Sauce
- 1/4 cup Primal Kitchen's Ranch, Tessemae's Creamy Ranch, or homemade Whole30 ranch
- 1-2 tbsp. Franks Original Hot Sauce (or to taste)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place chicken fingers in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add the 1/2 cup franks hot sauce and toss to coat.
- Place the almond meal, coconut flour, paprika in a bowl and also season with a little salt and pepper. Toss to combine evenly.
- Place each tender into the breading mixture and toss until coated.
- Place breaded tenders on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Continue until all of the tenders are breaded. Spray tops of the chicken tenders lightly with cooking spray of choice.
- Bake in oven until cooked through and golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy! I combine whole30 ranch with a few tablespoons of franks hot sauce for a fun buffalo-ranch dip!