Growing up in Texas, homegrown okra and tomatoes were always a staple in the summertime and something that my family ate copious amounts of. I absolutely LOVE okra. If you didn’t grow up in the South, Okra probably wasn’t on your family dinner menu ever but I am sure you’ve at least had it in Gumbo or deep fried, am I right? Although both of those ways are absolutely delicious, it’s also super simple to oven roast okra and get it super crispy and delicious.
Because it’s summer and okra is on the shelf everywhere in Texas, I knew I needed a new okra recipe. Okra and cajun food go hand and hand so I thought what better way to marry the two (once again) and make Crispy Oven-Baked Cajun Okra Fries. Yes. Yes. Yes.
These Okra Fries are absolutely delicious and dipped in the cool, lemon-garlic aioli… they are the perfect summer party appetizer or side dish! They are the type of thing that disappear quickly, so make a lot if you are having friends over.
SHOP THE POST.
- 15 ounces fresh okra, remove the tops and slice lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup homemade mayo or Whole30 Compliant Mayo
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (about the juice of one lemon)
- black pepper, to taste
- kosher salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Place sliced okra in a bowl. Combine the okra, avocado oil, cayenne pepper, sweet paprika, garlic powder, black pepper and kosher salt. Toss to coat.
- On a baking sheet topped with a wire rack, place the okra in rows (do not overcrowd or overlap, otherwise the okra will not crisp). Roast for for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
- In a food processor, combine the mayo, garlic, lemon juice, black pepper and kosher salt. Blend until smooth.
- To serve, sprinkle with fresh paprika. Enjoy!