Here is an appetizer you are just going to love to sink your teeth into!! Delicious and flavorful chorizo, stuffed in sweet dates, and wrapped with crispy, salty bacon! Served over a creamy roasted red pepper sauce, these little bites will wow your guests and your taste buds!
Last year, I visited Chicago for the first time. During my time there, I ate at AVEC Chicago, which served chorizo stuffed dates. It was one of those appetizers that I wanted to slide right out of my seat it was so good, and it’s been on my mind ever sense. With the holidays in full swing, I thought it would be a great time to do my own rendition of what I remember from AVEC!
I do think that AVECs chorizo had a more smokey, mediterranean flavor– but I am sure they make their own chorizo in house. For the sake of time and ease, I opted to purchase a more Mexican flavored chorizo and the results are still fantastic!! I strongly encourage you to grace your Holiday tables with these beauties. Your guests will love you for it!
Chorizo-Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Dates
For the Roasted Pepper Sauce:
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely diced shallot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- pinch of kosher salt
- few cracks of black pepper
- 1 cup roasted red bell peppers, loosely chopped
- 2 tbsp juice from a jar of roasted red bell peppers
- 1 [14.5-ounce] can peeled, whole tomatoes
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
For the Chorizo-Stuffed Dates:
- 8 ounces bulk chorizo *see note below I use San Manuel Chorizo and removed from the casing.
- 16 pitted mejool dates
- 8 slices of bacon, cut in half lengthwise I use Applegate Farm's no sugar bacon
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Make the Sauce:
- Heat oil in small saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot and garlic with a pinch of salt and a few cracks of black pepper. cook, stirring, until tender, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the roasted red bell peppers and the juice from the jar and continue to cook, stirring, for 3-4 more minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes, vinegar and bring to a simmer. Once simmering rapidly, reduce heat to low, cover and let cook, simmering, while you prepare and bake the dates.
Stuff the Dates:
- Gently open up the date so that it can easily be stuffed. Place about 1/2 tbsp of the chorizo in the cavity of the date. Wrap with bacon and secure with a toothpick. Place on the prepared baking sheet and continue until all of the dates are prepared.
- Transfer the dates to the oven and cook until the chorizo is cooked through, 12-15 minutes. Then, turn the oven on high broil and broil (watching carefully so that they don't burn) until the bacon is just crisp, another 2-4 minutes depending on your broiler!
- Meanwhile, while your dates are baking, transfer the sauce to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside, cover, and keep warm until the dates are done.
- To serve, spoon and spread desired amount of the sauce across the bottom of a serving platter. Place chorizo stuffed dates on top and garnish with parsley. Enjoy!