Clayton is always the bartender on the weekends and when we have guests over to our house. He can make some really good cocktails and his Margarita is my personal favorite. I’ve been asking him for ages to sit down and write out an exact recipe so that I can share with you but that’s not easy for him. He usually just throws stuff in a mixer and tastes it until it tastes right. But, after bugging him for long enough and with Cinco De Mayo around the corner, he finally agreed to sharing his recipe!
It’s just a good, classic margarita on the rocks with a few little tweaks to make it special. My favorite part? That he adds egg whites to it to make it foamy. Sounds weird, I know, but it’s what makes his so good. Give me all the foam!
You can obviously use less tequila if you choose. Clayton claims “if you are going to take the time to make a drink you might as well make it strong.” So, yeah. Theres that.
- 1 cup Good Tequila (Clayton likes Casamigos, you can do a little less if you don't want it as strong)
- 1/4 cup cointreau
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup of Simple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon egg whites (fresh or out of the carton is fine!)
- Tajin, for serving (a sprinkle of kosher salt is okay if you don't have tajin)
- Combine in a blender, and let roar!!!!!!
- Pour over a glass filled with ice and top with a dash of tajin or a sprinkle of kosher salt.
- Clayton says he never stores his batch of margaritas in the fridge, as they tend to get tarte in the fridge. He leaves on the counter while people serve up their own glasses.