One of my favorite things ever is chicken cooked in the crockpot all day, then shredded. It turns out so moist and delicious no matter how you serve it and its just one of those meals everyone enjoys (even picky kiddos!) This particular dish is what I also like to call the “Tex-Mex Protein Bowl”. Chicken seasoned like taco meat, lots of salsa, avocado, quinoa, beans… the list goes on and it just keeps tasting better and better! Also, the possibilities with the chicken are pretty endless– make tacos, lettuce wrap style tacos, stuff them in a poblano pepper and bake, or top them on a salad! Enjoy!
Ingredients (serves 6):
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 16oz. jar of salsa picante (about 2 cups), we like to use Joe T. Garcia’s Medium
- 15oz. can of Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup of water OR chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen corn kernals
- 2 cups Brown Rice or Quinoa, uncooked
- 1 red bell pepper, core removed and sliced thinly
- 1 green bell pepper, core removed and sliced thinly
- 1 small white onion, sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Garnish: chopped cilantro, shredded cheese, cubed avocado
- Rinse and pat dry chicken breasts. Place in the bottom of the crockpot.
2. Now add the seasonings (salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, cayenne), the garlic, the jar of salsa, and the black beans, and 1/4 cup of water or broth to the crockpot. Stir to combine.
3. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours
4. When cooking time is complete, or when chicken is cooked through and tender, using two forks shred the chicken breasts. Then, add the frozen corn. Stir until well combined. Cover and keep the crockpot on “warm” for at least 10 minutes, or until ready to serve.
5. Meanwhile, cook rice or quinoa according to package directions.
6. Also, meanwhile, heat sliced peppers and onion over medium-high heat with 2 tbsp. of olive oil. Saute until peppers are tender and slightly charred, about 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Place a cup of cooked rice/quinoa in the bottom of the bowl. Top with sauteed peppers and onions, the chicken mixture, then desired garnish (we did a little shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, and avocado.
Recipe Adapted from Food-Juices.blogspot.com