This is an important question, okay?? Taco bell or Taco Bueno?
I am a Taco Bell girl, through and through. In fact, it’s one of my favorite guilty pleasures (especially during pregnancy). In high school, my best friends and I would drive to Frisco, Texas just to get taco bell for lunch (which, for the record was about a 20 minute trek). For like a solid year straight I ordered their “Mexican Pizza” every dang time. I freaking love it. Crisp tortilla shells, refried beans, and a layer of seasoned beef make the “crust,” while pizza sauce (which kinda tastes like enchilada sauce), a three-cheese blend, and tomatoes make the topping, creating a delicious love child of Mexican and Italian cuisine.
With my love of recreating my childhood favorites, I knew I had to take a stab at the Taco Bell Mexican Pizza using clean ingredients in my own kitchen. So I’ve crisped up some Siete Foods Grain-Free Tortillas, spread with a little organic refried beans, some taco meat, a quick and easy homemade clean-eating enchilada sauce, a little cheese, tomatoes and onion! The results are not just as good as the original, I think it’s better! Also, my kiddos loved it too!!
Whether you grew up on the Taco Bell Mexican Pizza or not, this recipe is one that I know you’ll just adore!! It’s so easy and such a treat, without the guilt!
For the Tortillas:
- 4 tortillas I use Siete Brand
- cooking spray
For the Ground Beef:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
For the Quick Enchilada Sauce:
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp arrowroot powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne optional
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3/4 cup beef broth, low sodium
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
For the Pizzas:
- 4 tbsp refried black beans (I use Amy's brand organic refried black beans) *omit for Paleo
- 1/4 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1 roma tomato, cored, seeds removed and diced small for serving
- 1 tbsp finely chopped cilantro optional, for serving
- 1 green onion (green part only), thinly sliced optional, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
Crisp up the Tortillas:
- Place the tortillas on the parchment lined baking sheet and lightly spray with cooking spray. Bake for 6-8 minutes, until a golden brown edge has started to form and they are just crisp. (when cooking time is complete remove from oven and set aside but do not turn off the oven yet).
Make the Ground Beef:
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet with olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef. Brown the beef, using the back of a wooden spoon to break up the meat, until no longer pink, about 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- When the beef is cooked through, transfer to a plate and set aside.
Make the Enchilada Sauce:
- Heat the same skillet over low heat.
- Add the ghee. When the ghee is melted, add the arrowroot and whisk until the clumps are gone.
- Add the paprika, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and cayenne (if using) to the skillet. Cook, stirring, until the spices are toasted and fragrant, about 2 minutes and there are no clumps.
- Add the tomato paste and stir until incorporated into the spice mixture.
- Slowly, while whisking, add the beef broth and stir until well combined with the spice mixture. Season with salt. Bring to a simmer, and gently cook until the sauce has thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove sauce from heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the enchilada sauce to the cooked ground beef and toss to coat evenly.
For the Pizzas:
- Carefully spread two tablespoons of refried black beans on just two of the crisp tortillas. Divide the meat mixture in half on top of the refried beans. Place the other crisp tortilla on top to create a sort of 'pizza sandwich'. Then, evenly distribute the remaining enchilada sauce on top of each of the "pizzas" and gently spread to evenly coat the top. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Transfer back into the oven Bake for 2-3 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the sauce is hot and bubbly.
- Top with tomatoes, cilantro, and green onions. Serve and enjoy!