I’ve realized that sometimes I post a picture of my dinner on instagram and say things like “just some pan-roasted salmon with steamed broccoli” and think that everyone just gets it. Well, I am so wrong and I apologize for that! Not everyone sits in their kitchens all day and cooks like me and just knows these things. haha.
I never cook salmon the same way, like ever. I grill it on a cedar plank, roast it in the oven, sear it stove-top, poach it in sauces… the possibilities are endless; however, this simple pan-roasting method is one of my favorite methods and is one that I know you all will love.
When pan-roasting, you start the fish off in a hot skillet on the stovetop to get that nice, golden-brown sear. You then toss it in the oven and let the salmon finish cooking in the oven. This gets that crisp outer layer that I love, and that warm, juicy center.
Next time you have some beautiful salmon filets, try making them this way. You can season them however you please and even top it with whatever sauce you have in mind! Make it your own!
- 2 (6-8oz) filets of center-cut salmon
- 2 tsp. ghee
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. olive or avocado oil
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat a cast iron skillet (or oven safe skillet) over medium-high heat.
- Season the flesh side of the salmon with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add olive oil to skillet. When the oil is hot, add salmon skin-side down. Sear until the skin is golden brown and crispy, about 4 minutes.
- Flip and top each salmon with 1 tsp. of the ghee.
- Transfer to oven and cook until desired doneness-- about 5 minutes for medium-rare and 9 minutes for fully cooked through.
- Let rest for 2 minutes and serve immediately with the squeeze of lemon or whatever sauce you are serving it with!