During the summertime, big make ahead salads are perfect for entertaining or for meal prep. Growing up, one of my best friend’s mom’s made this absolutely delicious broccoli salad and I remember in college having her send me the recipe and gasping when i saw the 1.5 cups of sugar in it! WHAT!?
So, yeah. Now I know why her dang broccoli salad was so good. Because she sprinkled a little crack on it, that’s why!?!
Haha, but seriously. I wanted to make a cleaner, whole30 rendition of her broccoli salad and it is still really delicious. I love the crunch to it and I think it is the perfect side dish for all things grilled during the summer-time. The cranberries add a nice sweetness to them and all in all, it’s just a yummy dish!
If you love the idea of making a delicious salad ahead of time and bringing to a Backyard BBQ, try my Whole30 Potato Salad, this Chicken Caesar Pasta Salad, or this Green Goddess Egg and Avocado Salad.
- 2 heads of broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup sunflower kernels
- 3/4 cup homemade or whole30 compliant mayo
- 2 gloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- Kosher salt, to tast
- Pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the broccoli, red onion and dried cranberries.
- In a separate bowl, combine the mayo, garlic, white wine vinegar, kosher salt and pepper. Stir until combined.
- Pour mayo mixture over the salad and toss to coat evenly.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. It can keep for up to 5 days in the fridge.