Whole30 Mashed Potatoes
Delicious and creamy Whole30, Paleo, Dairy free Mashed Potatoes! YES.
Write a review
- 3 lbs. yukon gold potatoes
- 4 tbsp. ghee (I really like using Fourth and Heart Ghee)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- approx. 1 cup chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 3/4 cup unsweetened, full fat coconut milk (I use Thai Kitchen's brand so it doesn't taste like coconut)
- Kosher salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Cut the potatoes into fourths. I like to leave the skins on, but feel free to peel the potatoes if you prefer no skins.
- When the water is boiling, add the potatoes to the water and continue to boil for 15-20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender and a fork is easily inserted and removed from the potato.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander, and leave in the colander until the potatoes are just slightly steaming (this helps them be less watery).
- Meanwhile, melt the ghee in the pot and saute the garlic for 2 minutes, being careful not to burn. Remove from heat.
- Return the potatoes back to the pot. Start by adding only 1/2 cup of chicken stock and the coconut milk, and start mashing with a potato masher. You want the potatoes to become smooth and velvety. Continue adding chicken stock until the potatoes are smooth with no lumps. Mine only took 1 cups chicken stock, but it will depend on your potatoes and the consistency you like them (I prefer mine a little lumpy, but just keep mashing more if you like yours smoother and add more broth if you think they are too dry).
- Add plenty of salt and pepper, to taste, to season the potatoes.
The Defined Dish http://www.thedefineddish.com/